Sunday, September 18, 2011

Canon lovers, are you as excited as I am?

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Canon's newest camera, the EOS 5D Mark II





http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contro鈥?/a>





Now where am I going to get $2700 from? %26lt;--- LOL, you don't have to answer that!|||Yeah, I pre-ordered mine from Adorama on the 17th. Hopefully this will mean that I'll get it in the first few shipments. (Which is supposed to be sometime in November.) Then I'll truly see how impressed I am with it. Based on reading some of the Canon forums, there are a lot of people that are upset (so much so they say they are switching to Nikon) that the autofocus sensor appears to be the same; 9 points + 6 assist. I think they were just expecting an upgrade like the EOS 3 film camera was to the EOS 5 film camera and for it to have the 45 point AF system found in the EOS-1 Cameras. On paper, the 50D appears to have a better focusing system with 9 cross-type AF points. But since I mostly use the center on my 5D about 95% of the time, the center cross-type point with 6 assist points still seems better than 9 cross-type points, 8 of which seldom get used, so its not a concern for me. (Maybe they'd be happy if it was 9 cross-type points + 6 assist points. If your not familiar with the assist points, they are invisible and you can't select them. They lie around the center point, in the spot metering circle, so you'll get more accurate auto-focus when using the center point.)





I've got several BP-511A batteries, but now I'll have to buy a few extra of the new batteries and another grip. That's what disappoints me most. But hey, I'll reserve judgment until I have both the original and Mark II in my hands to compare. If it lasts for more shots and I don't have to concern myself with the battery as much, then in the end, it'll be a good thing.





Not sure about the HD Video Capture mode. It may be something I use occasionally, but I'd probably still have bought the camera at this price if it wasn't included. Truthfully, I'm kinda surprised it didn't show up in the 50D. That would be more of a selling feature to find it in the class of cameras or in the Digital Rebel line. As a nature photographer, I actually see the use for having this. Besides still photos, I also use an XL2 for creating video loops. The XL2 has 3 CCDs and can shoot 24p, but if the quality is good enough on the 5DmkII, it would be less equipment in my backpack if I didn't have to carry an XL2. Otherwise, I doubt I'll use this feature for portraits and events such as weddings and concerts.





Check out this link. It's a nice read compared to just reading specs:


http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_p鈥?/a>





The features that I'm most anxious to see are the in camera lens profiles and the battery profiles. I also expected it to cost a little more than it does, so that makes me happy as well.





Ace: The early reviews and specs say only 30fps with no user selection. Clips are limited to 29 mins and 59 seconds or 4GB, whichever comes first. You can change between 1920x1280 and 640x480 resolutions.|||This should cause some P%26amp;S and entry level DSLR shooters to move up to full frame although I am surprised that Canon did not make EF-S lenses usable on the new Mark II. At least the preliminary specs state EF lens compatibility.





Do you know if the video is shot at 30 fps or 24 fps?





For those with limited funds, there will be a lot of good used 5D's showing up and that is always good news|||Well, we won't really know for sure until we have it in our hands... until then, we'll just have to look at its reviews.





When will it be coming out in stores?

No comments:

Post a Comment