Sunday, September 18, 2011

Have Canon 40D w/28-135mm lens. Need shorter & wider lens to complement...need some details and advice?

Am looking at Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 17-40mm/4L, Tokina 12-24mm. Also, I have noticed that Canon/s newest EOS brochure lists several Prime lens as "Wide angle"...these would be 20mm, 24mm, 14mm, 28mm, etc......SO this leads to my more specific question. Just because two lenses share same focal lens does not mean they are same width, correct? This is real confusing to me, and it compounds issue when "Wide Angle" does not hold true for my cropped sensor.





If I go with 24mm/1.4 or 1.8 will this be essentially same WIDTH as my 28-135 at 28mm?? Or will it be significantly wider?





Also, hate to limit myself to the three choices listed above (17-50, 17-40, 12-24), but am looking for a little versatility.....so this tells me I would almost certainly need a 2.8 fixed aperture lens to achive versatility. What do you think?





P.S. I am sure Photoace will be all over this one!!|||Don't get the Canon 24 mm f 1.4. It's very expensive - and as 'fast' as it is, this lens is hardly wider than what you have now.





If you're going to go wide, why don't you get Canon 10-22 mm one.





http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showp鈥?/a>|||You're correct about width - 28mm is still 28mm regardless of how far out the lens will go... 28 and 24 are essentially the same thing. Now, go to an 18-200, good reach, wider at 18.





If I were you I'd go to the manufacturer's sites and look closely at what they have available. I have a Rebel XS 1000D with a Tamron 18-200mm and I really enjoy it - a work horse because it's very wide with great reach... and not that expensive.





Good Luck|||How wide do you want to go. Give the lens you have now, I would probably go with the Tokina 12-24. Thats a great focal range and the new version of that lens is supposed to be very sharp and from experience Tokina lenses are very solid and well built. The 17-40 is a great lens, but 17mm might not suite your wide angle needs, it would probably be best to try a lens at those focal lengths to see how wide you need to go. My money is on the Tokina 12-24 though, unless you see yourself going full frame very soon in which case I would go with the 17-40.|||At the short end, a small difference in focal length makes a very noticeable difference. 24mm is most certainly much wider than 28mm, but for your 40D, still not wide enough.





The 12-24's and 10-22's are *really* wide angle, even on the 40d. Not good general purpose lenses.





On your list, the Tamron would be the best choice for a really good walk-around, general purpose, wide angle lens. The Canon 17-55IS is no slouch either, at 3 times the price. Sigma also makes a slightly more expensive 18-50 f/2.8. Tokina does a 16-50 f/2.8, but the last price I saw was about $650. Any of those are very good choices for the 40D. Not ultra wide angle, all are constant aperture f/2.8 lenses, with enough wide angle to make them useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment