Sunday, September 18, 2011

Using a digital camera at a concert?

I'm going to a concert on Dec. 21 at a smallish venue (The Vogue Theatre, Vancouver). I emailed the event and I was told that "You can bring small handhelds. Professional cameras are not permitted."





I just brought Canon's SX10 (Photo - http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1鈥?/a> Does this camera look too professional?? It is one of their point and shot cameras ... Am I going to lose my camera or get kicked out if they see me using it?





It's general admission, so if I take photos in the crowd I should be fine? I know I risk breaking the camera but there shouldn't be much pushing and such ... What are people's best tips?|||Oh, boy, I wouldn't take it. While your camera is not a DSLR, it looks like one, and in a hurry, they aren't going to be able to tell the difference. I have put your camera beside my DSLR here---





http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_鈥?/a>





and if you scroll way down to the bottom, you can see that your camera is bigger and heavier than mine.





I would leave it home, or they will probably take it away. You sure don't want to lose that nice camera. Buy a program instead, and just enjoy the concert. Have fun!|||i think that your camera isn't too professional looking, it will probably be fine. because there are lots of people in a concert, the security most likely won't try to confiscate cameras once the concert starts. and if you have a strap for your camera that goes around your wrist i don't think there's too much danger of you dropping it, but it depends on how many people are at the concert jumping around or whatever.|||While that is certainly not a "professional" camera, most likely the people at the venue will consider it as such. If you had one of the typical pocket size digitals it would be allowed. They figure people who use those things are not going to get decent photos anyway, and that is pretty much true, so they are allowed to use as they state, "small handhelds".





If I was you, I would not risk taking the SX10 and either 1. having it confiscated, or 2. being turned away from seeing the concert.





steve

No comments:

Post a Comment